I was excited when Kodocha was licensed, super-excited because I heard the whole thing was licensed. I was therefore kind of devastated when that turned out not to be true. (And I won't even get started about Galaxy Railways.)
I couldn't wait to see all the things that weren't in the amazing Kodocha manga (as well as a stellar things that were). I loved the hyper-activity in motion. I was stunned by the amazing performance Laura Bailey put in as Sana; I even watched the whole thing dubbed in honor of her incredible effort. I told my friends about it; some of them bought it. Then we all had to deal with the misery of not seeing half of the show. If you're listening, Funimation, I would totally pay to see the rest of it, even without the dub, but I can't because I am such a law-abiding citizen. Sometimes, I wish I weren't.
I feel like companies shouldn't be able to license things if they're not going to follow through. When a show or manga I like gets canceled (Beck, Beyond the Beyond, Never Give Up, Dazzle, Galaxy Railways), it irritates me because I feel like the studio has broken a promise it made to me when it purchased the license and got my hopes up.
Of course Tokyopop and Funimation made me no guarantees, but they're the big companies who do the research and licensing; they should know what they can make money on. They should not jerk me around. They should know they are my conduit to legal manga and anime, the only kind I have access to since I am so straight-laced as to only access legal content legally (and pay for it because I understand how much I need to support it with my consumer vote of approval--the dollar--to make sure it keeps coming). Why do they keep hurting me by leaving me hanging?
This economy sure isn't helping.
Maybe I should look at this positively: every canceled bit helps my wallet, right?
What anime/manga has left you hanging? What do you really wish we could legally access more of? Would you be willing to buy inferior versions (streamed stuff, subbed-only, manga online/e-book format) just to get your hands on the rest?
Sunday, August 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Actually, from what I hear, even non-law-abiding citizens can't watch the rest of Kodocha, because there are no fansubs around. (I haven't verified this personally.)
Post a Comment