- b Chi's Sweet Home 1-2: Totally adorable. Seriously. Warm fuzzies and short laughs as you follow a cute kitten and the family that takes her into their pet free apartment and has to hide her. Also found out where her cute name came from and nearly had a spasm.
- b Jihai 1: I have read people tearing this one to shreds as boring and lame. I like it. I really do. Those end-of-book cliffhangers were great the first time through, and I didn't think knowing how they resolved hurt the reread value for me (since I sort of forgot most everything). I liked all the various characters with their tortured pasts, too, and I liked the somewhat nonstandard ways they dealt with redemption and atonement.
- b Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service 9-10: I talked about these already. Same acid dark humor. Same fantastic notes at the end. How to know if you'll be able to handle the horror within: Can you look closely at the cover and not throw up?
- b Maison Ikkoku 12: Just like with the real people bumbling around in romantic relationships in your life, you just want to shake these people sometimes, too.
- b Saturn Apartments 1: Totally great. Seriously unusual. Earnest, sweet, and sad. The story of a future when Earth is uninhabitable, and everybody lives on a big ring around the earth. Mainly follows the story of a young orphaned boy who chooses to be a window washer, a dangerous and sometimes thankless job (the job his father died doing). Slice of life sci-fi.
- b Silver Diamond 3: Can the power of nice save the world? Find out here.
- b A Tale of an Unknown Country 1-2: I'm pretty bummed there won't be more of this one. It irked me a bit because it got my hopes up when it laid out a really serious, realistic sort of scenario in a broken relationship between brothers. Then it shojo-powered through all the careful setup and tried to bulldoze on with the power of genki. I shouldn't have let it get my hopes up, but situations like this particular one that break relationships between siblings are of interest to me, and I wanted to see how they dealt with it. Now I'll never know if they redeem themselves by treating it seriously again. Alas.
- b Tsubasa 27: I'll admit that I have no idea what that was all about. I think some day when I marathon this series, it will make (more) sense.
- b Tuxedo Gin 1: So he dies, but he gets to come back as a penguin, live out a penguin's natural lifespan, and then be returned to his body. He picked a penguin for sentimental reasons. I wouldn't picked the shortest living critter I knew about. But that's because I'm not in love with someone who adores penguins. Well, and there are other reasons such as reality . . .
Sunday, October 24, 2010
Selections from What I Read in September: Digest Version, Part 1 of 2
Ah, September. When suddenly I remember why I hate the short warm time we call summer up here that starts in June and ends in August. Well, that's not true. It reminds me why I hate the cold time that runs from September through May. This is a temperate zone, right? I've got my manga and exercise to keep me warm.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment