Sunday, July 3, 2011

What I Read in April: Digest Version, 1 of 3

b Animal Academy 2: Soooooo cuuuuuuuuute.  There's just something about this fish out of water story that is endearing and adorably but not saccharine.  Biggest disappointment: this is another Tokyopop series that may never see completion.  Oh, the pain . . .

b Alice 101st 2: One of my favorite things about this series is the doodles it shows in the main character's margins.  It's just awesome.  The story is compelling, too, with more guest appearances from another series by this author (you don't have to have read the other series, really).  Rivals and mysteries, miraculous talent, and hard work in a cutthroat fine arts school: what's not to love?

b Adventures of Young Det 2-3: I knew it was coming this time, and I still cried.  Anyway, I wish more of this series was available because it's so promising, I really wanted to collect it.  It's kind of like an RPG after the long introduction (so far the most compelling part of the story).

b Chi's Sweet Home 3-5: An adorable and sometimes exasperating kitty I am not allergic to!  It's such a treat to watch the misunderstandings between cat and humans . . .

b Hikaru no Go 23: So sad that this is the end.  I really want to see the anime now.  I got all weepy because I've been following this story for years, and now they're all grown up and going off into the world . . .

b Spiral 15: Whoa.  I cried almost the whole second half of this.  I respect the author for following through, but, man, that was hard.

b Crown of Love 4: Was that a happy ending?  I guess it's as close to one as you can expect from a series that shines a light on love-as-obsession.

b Your and My Secret 7: Ai Morinaga, you make my nose hurt.  Your comic timing is impeccable, and your sense of humor is so very twisted.  I adore you.

No comments: