Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Quotes January 2013 Part I

Bamboo Dong on King of Thorn: "The King of Thorn has editing problems. I don't mean film editing—I mean that it has too many ideas, and not enough people around to say, “no.” It is the film equivalent of a run-on sentence."

Sean Gaffney on shojo: "Lastly, there is We Were There, which has no vampires whatsoever. It’s almost over, but there’s still this volume and 16 to go. So there’s LOTS more ways the author can make her character’s lives miserable! (Admit it, that’s why we love it. This is *the* angst shoujo.)"

Brian Hanson on remaining silent in the legally obtaining anime debate at one time: "I just figured I'd stay silent, which is a great way to avoid having to face any troubling moral issues."

Shaenon Garrity on shojo manga: "And when I say intensity, I don't mean emotional intensity. When I say action, I don't mean hot boys getting it on. When I say violence, I'm not looking for some mealy-mouthed rhetorical dodge like when Martin Scorsese said The Age of Innocence was his most violent movie. I'm saying, hey, shojo manga! Why is no one in this book firing a machine gun from a motorcycle in midair?

In short, where are the badass shojo manga?"

Rebecca Silverman on Skip Beat: "In the hands of a less talented mangaka, this could devolve into a cheesy shoujo geometry fest . . ."

Sara K on Princess Pearl: "In this particular novel, he is basically presented as a loveable spoiled brat who unfortunately (for everyone else) has absolute power over an empire."

No comments: