Thursday, August 20, 2015

TurnA Gundam (naked)

I just finished Gundam Unicorn (dang it, so was it really Char still somehow, or was he just possessed or something ARRRGGHH!?!), and now I am watching TurnA Gundam.  It's giving me a bit of mental whiplash, I must say.  The best comparison I can make is that, of all the shows I've watched, it reminds me most of Nadia and the Secret of Blue Water.  I think it's that weird mix of kid show with some mature themes and coming-of-age crap and  old school animation and character designs.

TurnA took place during what I think of as Tomino's Naked Period, when all of his shows had tons of nudity out of nowhere (OP and ET, in the show itself).  It's ridiculous, actually.  Maybe it's supposed to show that they are really innocent / children and whatnot, but it's just so constant and out of nowhere that I just can't help but find it funny.  It may be fueled by residual sniggering about "Full Frontal" from Gundam Unicorn. (I have been watching Tomino and Gundam for a long time, so I am used to bizarre character names in theory but apparently not totally immune.)

Maybe it's just that I'm really mentally 8, but I find myself giggling and looking away from the screen and begging the characters to just put something on (which is a bad idea when you're watching subtitled-only anime because you miss plot due to excessive[ly hilarious and seemingly pointless] nekkidness).

I'm about to watch the next episode, so maybe it will be a vital plot point that he is naked when he climbs into the cockpit of the Gundam, but right now, I'm pretty much just shaking my head and snorting with laughter.

No comments: