Sunday, October 11, 2009

Dazzle - What is it about this manga that I like?

I am trying to figure out once again what I find so compelling about Dazzle.  Seriously.  It definitely strained the limits of my 3 volume test, but even though I wasn't crazy about the first few volumes, I ended up hooked somehow. 

I mean, there's so much not to like.  The character designs are sometimes ugly and inconsistent, perspective and formal art stuff is often notably absent.  It feels like it's full of cliches and like I should hold that against it, but in the end, I think it just moves too fast for me to get a grasp on what I shouldn't like.

I mean, half the time, the plot and action going on don't make sense.  It can be senselessly violent.  The characters seem shallow but constructed to seem deeper, the sort of clunky contrivance that usually makes me grind my teeth. 

But they are deeper.  They have so many layers, onions weep, but the revelations are just sort of flung out there in the middle of the action or during the bipolar lows.  And then we don't have time to process because we're fighting again (verbal sparring or to-the-death combat). 

It's a huge mess, and every volume makes you change gears multiple times.  There's so many mysteries for the sake of being mysterious that I should hate it, but I don't.

Maybe I like that they're playing for keeps.  This is not a kiddie manga (or if it is, well, that's scary).  People die, sometimes pretty horribly, and they don't come back.  It may be a fantasy world, but dead is dead (increasingly important as the story goes on).

Now that I think about it, Dazzle sometimes reminds me a bit of Gundam Wing, especially the way they mix the action with the sci-fi with the random philosophizing about the nature of war, humanity, and other important things while people are being slaughtered and violence is being extremely present.

I love the banter.  A good crabby exchange of dialogue can cover a multitude of sins.  It's got that snarky, cranky vibe Saiyuki managed to capture, where the road trippers love irritating each other sometimes even more than fighting.

Dazzle may be filled with absurdities, but if you sit back and enjoy the ride and don't think about how impossible it all is, you may just find yourself getting some hard thinking done when all you thought you were doing was watching the show.  Keep those tissues handy for later volumes; this is not a nice world to live in.

To top it all off, now that I'm really addicted, Tokyopop may not be publishing it anymore. 

Until I hear of its final fate, I will content myself by pointing out that it was getting all melodramatic when it stopped, and I will ignore the fact that I WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT REALLY BAD!!!!!  I am an adult, and I am patient. 

Also, I'm easily distracted, so you don't have to worry about my blood pressure.

Hey, what's that over there?  It's shiny . . .


Are there any shows/series you like that sort of defy your own logic?  Stories that you should despise for bad execution or whatever, but you just can't look away?

No comments: