Monday, July 19, 2010

More Banana Fish Discussion

Yay!  Part three of the lovely dissection of one of my favorite manga series continues!  It's fun to read several very different people geeking out about the same series in a semi-organized fashion.  I'm a sucker for coherent discussions.  Anyway, here was one of my favorite comments from the discussion.

"MICHELLE: I definitely got the sense that Ash was trying to protect Eiji’s innocence as well as Eiji himself. And I actually thought it was rather mature of Eiji to agree to absent himself from the fray. Too often, unqualified characters insist on tagging along with the hero and get into trouble and we are asked to have sympathy for their plight while the hero has to take time out of what he was trying to accomplish to save their incompetent butts. It’s a wise character who knows his limits and doesn’t even attempt to get into that situation."

Preach it, sister.  If I have to watch one more idiot dragging down the protagonist . . .  Well, I don't care if it's a boy or a girl: it's annoying, and if certain action works were more realistic, it would be frequently lethal, and then we wouldn't have to watch the dead weight/eye candy drag our action further away from reality.  I don't really know where I was going with that, but I don't think I got there.  Anyway, it is a sign of maturity to let wiser heads rule (especially if you don't want your head to roll).  Also, very Japanese.  Kind of subtle, that . . .  Stay in the car, Chuck. (To be fair, Chuck is supposed to be a comedy.  Most of the action works I'm referring to, whatever they are, are not.)

I am still holding strong in my pledge not to have a Banana Fish marathon at least until after I've finished moving stuff around in the apartment and getting some more books I'm being paid to read read, darn it.  And I will definitely not think about how this would be the most actually possible American live-action-TV-series-adaptations of a manga ever.  Self-control is a virtue.  Really.  Sob.

So, what series can you think of where you just wanted to sneak up behind and stab the idiot sidekick dragging down the protagonist?

No comments: