Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Hayate what?!

I kind of can't comprehend this.  I mean, I love Hayate way more than the next person (how many volumes in one month?!), but, still, a live action version?  Really?

"Next week’s issue of Weekly Shonen Sunday magazine will formally announce the development of a feature film adaptation of Kenjiro Hata’s popular Hayate no Gotoku ~ Hayate the Combat Butler manga series. Manglobe (Samurai Champloo, KamiNomi) will animate with experienced Manglobe animation director Hideto Komori taking charge. The comedy has previously been adapted into two anime television series and three OVAs. A Taiwanese live action TV series adaptation is also presently in development."
For those of you who don't know what it is, I liked this reviewer's thoughts.

"Hayate is truly meta-anime. It is anime comedy for the advanced anime enthusiast. The show's better jokes don't stand on their own very well but hinge on the viewer's prerequisite knowledge of anime and manga series going back several decades. I am simultaneously impressed, depressed, and disgusted with myself when I get the jokes because oh my god I have watched so much anime. When I laugh, I'm never sure if I should feel proud or if I've wasted my life."

Um, pretty much true.  Especially now that I'm into the newer stuff, which has jokes I actually get too many of . . .

No comments: