- b Astral Project 3-4: Whoa. Pretty darned subversive ending there, eh? I mean, how frequently do you read serious, contemporary, seinen manga where they tell you the cure to what ails you is to get a solid job, work for a living, get married, and be a family? Did I mention the out of body experiences, government conspiracies, suicide, yakuza work, murder, and jazz music?
- b D.Gray-man 8-10: How I love Black Friday sales + clearance shelves at Half Price Books. And Alan and company, too, of course.
- b Her Majesty's Dog 5-6: Another fun find at Black Friday sales + clearance shelves at Half Price Books. GoComi had some good series there; I'm sorry they went under (and not just because of Cantarella's unfinished limbo . . . )
- b HunterxHunter 8, 11-14: You guessed it: another fun find at Black Friday sales + clearance shelves at Half Price Books. It's great that every time I read this series, I am reminded of how different it is from other shonen series I read. Gon's simple sort of zenlike acceptance of/ambivalence to good and evil combined with his own moral code are totally quirky. Killua's careful self-control and conscious reigning in of his trained sociopathic nature is a treat. Their friendship is great. I've mentioned before that Hisoka (Gon's antagonist) gives me chills (this particular artist seems to have a gift in that department), and the supporting characters are entertaining.
- b Lagoon Engine 7: Yeeek! I feel like maybe, just maybe, we're getting closer to the crossover stuff with Lagoon Engine Einsatz, but I am really trying not to get my hopes up because, let's be honest, Yukiru Sugisaki (the author) fails to finish at all most of the time.
No comments:
Post a Comment