The college anime club I attend is on spring break, so instead of our regularly scheduled programming, they reserve a room for 12 hours and watch whatever people bring. Variety is the spice of life.
Since I was the only girl who showed up (in the evening, after work, so there could have been girls there earlier), I noticed that the watching selection skewed heavily toward the male demographic for some reason . . . I wonder if they felt awkward. I enjoyed myself anyway.
We watched an episode of the newer TV series of Ah! My Goddess, and I remembered the controversy over it when it came out. Feminists didn't like it because they didn't like that this powerful goddess would sacrifice herself to fulfill role of domestic female for the protagonist. Some folks didn't like it because they were frustrated by the "pure" relationship between the two leads; they just couldn't enjoy or understand a slow-moving, loving, affectionate relationship between two folks that never got past kissing. I liked it. :)
Maria-Holic is another one many folks just don't like. The manga was kind of messy (that artist just writes messy, hyper manga), but the anime actually seemed to make more sense. They actually pulled off the over-the-top screwball SD comedy stuff without it grating on my nerves as such things do when done poorly. It's like some crossbreed between GoComi's Tenshi Ja Nai and Maria Watches Over Us.
The one I was most surprised at was Princess Jellyfish. It's about a bunch of hopelessly weird girls living in a no boys allowed apartment in Tokyo. And these girls are really weird. I don't foresee this series doing the "but if they only worked at it, they could be Stylish people, too, and get boyfriends and live happily ever after" thing, so I wonder what attraction there is for guys. The guys liked it anyway. :) Way to go, guys. It seems like a comedy nerds of both genders can enjoy.
It's nice to watch some random things every so often. :)
Thursday, March 17, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment