Moyasimon is the story of a boy who can see bacteria and his adventures at agricultural college. (Those little "stars" on the cover are actually bacteria.) Aside from being totally gross enough to make me stop reading for weeks twice (the seagull thing is just nauseating beyond description), there are lots of reasons to love it.
It's funny. Weird, snort inducing, dark, often sophomoric humor funny.
"So you're saying alcohol is basically just yeast poop."I can see why.
"With fermentation, we prefer the term 'product,' rather than poop."
It's educational. (And funny.) Where else will you hear such impassioned dialogue revolving around stomach upset?
"If milk made him sick, isn't yogurt just kicking him while he's down?"I, for one, have been inspired to eat more yogurt lately.
"What do you mean, girl? Don't talk about lactic acid bacteria that way."
"Get back here, you stubborn oaf. Listen to a digression from us lactic acid bacteria. When you humans are born, you come out with a coating made from us. We are inside your body, and we protect you from other germs to make you grow up healthy. We don't actually support and adjust your intestines directly. We're just trying to support our brethren that are already living inside you. If not for your sake! It's for our people! Eat! Eat! Eat, damn you! Help us save our people!"
It's bizarre. They encounter this sake store owner who is constantly surrounded by clouds of adoring germs when he leaves his store.
"That should be impossible. Can a man truly be 'loved by germs'? That's silly."It's fascinating. I'm learning a lot from it (some things I never, ever, ever wanted to know, but still.)
"This, coming from a guy who can see them with the naked eye? Come on."
"Okay, fine. You got me there."
"The influenza virus goes straight through your standard facemask."Its author is amusingly neurotic. Ah, the little notes on the margins are great!
"R- really? But everyone else always wears them."
"The mask doesn't protect against viruses. All it does is slow them down, because they don't like the humidity of your breath trapped in the mask. Plus, the air just goes right in from the sides."
"We don't know if you're actually out there or not. Please send word of your existence." - the author to American readers in the margin notesWe're here!
It's adorable.
"I wish I could get some original cell phone straps made in America, too." - the authorSo do I! I saw the anime a couple years back, and those germs are just too darned cute. When I went to visit my sister in Japan, the merchandizing boom for this stuff was still pretty big, and I got a few adorable critters to take back home with me. They also make great stickers. And if anyone asks, you can say with a smile that your cute plushie is botulism, and you'll know, after reading this series, exactly how much of this substance it would take to kill everyone in the world.
It's gross. I have learned more about fermented foods than I ever cared to know. For all that, I still don't know what to think about the fact that once upon a time, someone had to put this in their mouth to discover that it didn't kill them. Why? I just want to know why. But I also really just don't want to know . . . It's not all food-related yuckiness. Moyasimon tries to hit the full spectrum of ick.
"We have the ability to stop them before they take root on your skin."Thanks, guys. Maybe someday I'll win on Jeopardy with that one . . . Reward DelRey for really coming out of left field with this one by giving it a try.
"Even the nasty germs that are left around your anus after you release your bowels only last a short time before we eradicate them."
"Well, this discussion turned gross pretty quick."
"Some people think germs are gross, period."
"What? Now that's just silly!"
"Well, if they want gross, will give it to 'em! Get a load of this. About half of human feces is made of the corpses of the germs that live in your intestines."
Have you read any of this series? Your impressions? Most gross-out moments? Learn anything surprising?
No comments:
Post a Comment