Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Quote Roundup May 2011

Sometimes you just find quotes that tickle you, but they're too short to make a whole post, so you keep collecting until you have enough.  I think I have enough.

Danielle Leigh in a comment at Manga Bookshelf: "Hard-headeness is much more adorable in fiction because we can see the inner-struggle. Without that insight life with one of those guys would be exhausting."

Melinda Beasi's Manga Bookshelf Fanservice Friday: "For the life of me, I can’t understand why anyone wants to see attractive manga characters nude or scantily clad, when they could be seeing them in a scrumptious coat. Everyone looks beautiful in a coat like this."

Melinda Beasi: "I wrote an entry called Tears and Manga, inspired by my experience with volume four of Pluto, which had so affected me with the death of a mechanical dog in its first chapter, that I was unable to continue reading at the time. Now, any regular reader of this blog will know that I love to be hurt by fiction. Really I do. I love to feel deeply about what I’m reading, even if those feelings are difficult to handle."

Jason Thompson on Akira: "At least Tetsuo isn't merely a stereotypical cool, cackling villain. In fact, he's a punk, a stubborn jerk with spiky hair and bad attitude…apart from the drug abuse and wanton slaughter of innocents, he's a typical shonen manga character, really."

Katherine Dacey on Spice and Wolf: "That the Church’s power and history remain mysterious four volumes into the manga points to the series’ biggest problem: most of the interesting conflicts in Spice and Wolf are so deeply buried beneath the commercial shop-talk that they barely register at all. As a result, Spice and Wolf reads more like Project X: Cup Medieval Noodle than a proper drama; what it needs more than anything is a high-speed wagon chase, sword fight, or shouting match between two evenly matched opponents."

Anna on Black Bird: "I have a feeling I’m not supposed to be rooting for the death of the romantic lead in this manga."

Kate Dacey on To Terra: "If Richard Wagner wrote space operas, he might have composed something like Keiko Takemiya’s To Terra . . .."

No comments: