Sunday, May 15, 2011

What I read in February: Digest Version (3 of 3)

b Shinobi Life 6: Awwwwww.  There's some seriously sad and messed up stuff tying together the past and the present.  I still find this idea of loyalty to the ninja clan trumping everything baffling.  Of course, I have no idea what it was like to live in this particular world, but people buying me and training me to be a super-spy expected to be completely loyal to people who use as a totally disposable pawn just doesn't quite . . . 

b Spiral 14: Soooooo close.  One book to go.  The twists are twisting, and the plot is convoluting, and I am enjoying every second of all this moral-decision-making agony.  How can this possibly have a happy ending?!  Make me a miracle, kid!

b Stepping on Roses 2-3: This amusingly cliched period romantic melodrama is unabashed soapy fun.

b Story of Saiunkoku 1: Quite coherent and decent as adaptations go.  Please, Yen Press, hear my cry and license the light novels starting with what happened after the parts of the TV series we got.

b Tarot Cafe 6: The art drips Gothic horror and excessive eyeliner, the plot is soapy horror melodrama, and did I mention the art?

b Time and Again 1-3: For some reason, this felt much more coherent en masse, and I found myself liking it a lot more here than I did monthly in Yen Press.

b Wild Adapter 5: Wow.  Still kind of stunningly powerful.  Sometimes psychologically trying and tiring but always engaging.

b Yotsuba& 9: Still pretty adorable and entertaining chapter after chapter.  Thank you, again, Yen.

b Your and My Secret 6: Still so, so wrong and going strong.  This body-swapping, gender-bending extravaganza just makes me adore Ai Morinaga more and more.  I hope she finishes it strong.

No comments: