Melinda and Michelle on Raiders:
MELINDA: You know, I’d become a little jaded about zombie comics, but I think I have to give this one a look, finally.
MICHELLE: Yeah, it’s less about humans having to fend off zombie hordes than it is about zombies being bummed out about their unlives.
MELINDA: Something we can all relate to. Heh.
MICHELLE: Yeah, though I thankfully haven’t had the experience of my leg failing to reattach itself on account of being sliced by the special sword wielded by an albino vampire.
MELINDA: You haven’t? Geez, Michelle, you’re so sheltered.
MICHELLE: I should get out more.
MELINDA: Indeed.
Jason Thompson: ". . . Taniguchi's, Boilet & Peeters' approach: to pay attention to story and character, but to craft stories around particular locations in such a way that they couldn't take place anywhere else. Isn't it more interesting reading about stories set in Tottori or Urbicand rather than Anytown, USA, or Random Tokyo Screentone Background, Japan? For that reason I'm going to submit the proposal that one of the best travelogue manga of all time is JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, where detailed descriptions of Egypt, Italy and America are the setting for MAJOR SHONEN ASS-KICKING. No, I am not biased in the slightest."
Sean Gaffney on A Devil and Her Love Song: "It’s a rare shoujo series where I want to see the villain redeemed as much as the heroine, but that’s where I’ve ended up with this one, where I find myself really hating what Anna is doing while desperately wanting someone to break through to her. And that’s not even getting into the giant mess that Maria’s life is. Combine that with a wicked sense of humor at times, and it’s almost enough to get past the fact that their horrible teacher is STILL THERE."
Bamboo Dong on Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom: "In fact, there's not much levity in this series, save for a few immature chuckles here and there when cleavage springs into action, but they're likely not intentional."
Melinda Beasi: "The message of Tokyo Babylon is that sometimes people are just horrible, goodness does not always win, and our weaknesses may very well be exploited without any chance at all for us to learn from them. It’s a bleak, bleak message that I never expected to find in a shoujo manga series, and it left me absolutely wrecked as I finished it.
Of course, this was also kind of awesome."
Paul Thomas Chapman on Spriggan: "But as surely as the market for physical media continues to contract and streaming media continues to erode the old ways of doing things, and as surely as enthusiasts of my generation must feel like they are caught between the Charybdis that is damaged physical media and the Scylla that is spotty Internet connections and vanishing content, so it was that when I saw a DVD of the film during a spur of the moment trip to a brick-and-mortar store, I knew the time had come to make my peace with Spriggan.
This anime is ridiculous:"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment