The problem is that unlike other shows, there isn't necessarily warning that things are about to get unbelievably gross, and sometimes, you can't look away because, you know, important plot is happening.
Other ways they keep you off balance:
- killing people who seem important
- inexplicably letting others live
- the most excellent two-episode story arc
- the way the inhabitants of this world don't have everything figured out
That last one is my favorite. Ten years ago the world changed for these people. Things they thought were givens (laws of science, common sense, etc.) got tossed out the window. Or over the wall. These people are trying to figure their world out on a fairly basic level, and there are a lot of guesses and lies running around. Even stuff everybody who knows knows is wrong. It's subtle and breathtaking. Bravo!
Because of all this, it feels much more immediate, engaging, and compelling, and you as the viewer must participate because they are not going to spell things out for you, and when they do, the truth may or may not be involved. Monologues and info dumps can be "full of fail." Pay attention, or else you miss all the great nuances, contradictions, and bunny trails that make this show a jaw-droppingly great ride.
Up through volume 4 where I am going to stop because I wish to own this series and meticulously pick apart each and every episode to analyze how the story-telling and world-building are so awesome. I wouldn't want to know the ending and let that influence my obsessive re/watching.
I wonder if I should wait to read this tantalizing novel until after I'm done with the series . . . Anyone heard anything about it?
I love being a nerd.
Are there any shows you stopped watching partway in so you could start over obsessively?
3 comments:
Would you give it a thumbs up to read or watch??
I shall have to check this out. I have heard good things about it meow.
I personally give it an enthusiastic b (thumb up), the highest of my three casual ratings. You just have to have a strong stomach and the ability to enjoy a show without a clear moral center. :)
Post a Comment