Thursday, May 27, 2010

Requiem for Go!Comi

The death of this publisher was not nearly as unexpected or huge as CMX's, but it still made me sad.  If you were collecting any of these titles, you should really get a move on picking up the ones you're missing because something tells me they'll be even harder to find even faster. 

Complete Series I've enjoyed at least part of
  • Afterschool Nightmare: This one deserved all the critical acclaim it received.  Solid series.
  • Angel's Coffin: I like historical fiction and You Higuri.  So there.
  • Black Sun, Silver Moon: I enjoyed it, not just for the zombie puppy. It was kind of sloppily plotted (and I don't say that because of all the undead/zombie killing), but there was some quality angst there.
  • Bran Doll: Trashy, pointless, weird fun.
  • Crossroad: Had some interesting issues dealt with in different ways than I'd seen before.  And the tone was kind of unique, too.
  • Devil Within: Trashy, creepy, totally fell apart at the end, but still weirdly compelling.
  • Her Majesty's Dog: Really liked this one, too, for its interesting interpersonal relationships and people behaving in unexpected ways nonetheless consistent with their deeper than usual characters.
  • Night of the Beasts: Chika Shiomi knows how to not give you what you expect in your horror stories. 
  • Tenshi Ja Nai!!: Kinda creepy sometimes, but I did enjoy the ride.
Probably Incomplete Series I've enjoyed at least part of
  • 07-Ghost: Had such potential.
  • Bogle: Fun caper-y brainlessness.
  • Bound Beauty: Not nearly as creepy as it could have been; this one was actually a lot of fun.
  • Cantarella: I AM SAD. How, aside from reading history books, will we ever find out what happened to Cesar?!  And moth-guy?  And the fictional characters?!?!
  • Cross x Break: Okay, this one was just funny and mysterious from page 1.
  • Crown: Stylish, silly, lots of fun.
  • CY-Believers: Can't remember a thing about it, but I liked the first volume.
  • Hikkatsu!: Come on.  He kills appliances.  Martial arts and appliances.  Best fighting move names ever.
  • Kurogane Communication: Sweet, sad, wistful sort of post-apocalyptical story.
  • Song of the Hanging Sky: Okay, I'll admit it: I thought Cantarella was the series I would be most disappointed about, but Song of the Hanging Sky is.  This series was just brilliant.  The art, the story, the characters, the world, the plot, the choices . . .  I may actually cry that I will never find out what happens to all these poor people.
Sigh.  I would like to hope that someone would pick some of the best of these up.  +anima didn't do that well, but there's this other manga about kids with wings that's doing pretty well for Yen Press.  Someone (Yen Press, Tokyopop) pick up Song of the Hanging Sky.  DMP might like 07 or Cantarella if it ever gets finished in Japan . . .

Thanks for the good times, Go!Comi.  Rest in Peace.

Any series you have fond memories of or will miss?

2 comments:

Kris said...

I'm going to miss the last two volumes of Cantarella. According to mangaupdates.com they claim it's been completed at 12 volumes. I'm also disappointed about 07-ghost. I just got started with it and was excited and looking forward to continuing the series. And finally Crown! I love You Higuri and starting the series but not finishing it is just cruel!

The Moon in Autumn said...

So cruel. Be sure to check out Seimaden, then, because it's a Higuri series that's finished. Just getting increasingly harder to find . . .