Sunday, February 13, 2011

Not Love But Delicious Foods makes me more happy than eating internal organs

Not Love But Delicious Foods Makes Me Very Happy is a tasty book. 

I should have rationed it out and savored it, like fine food.  Instead, I inhaled it the same day I got it, gulping it down almost without stopping.  Y-naga would be ashamed of me. 

Honestly, I'm most like the character she briefly dates in the book (no taste for fine food).  I have an excuse, though.  I mean, I can hardly actually taste food.  (Long story short: 9 broken noses in a variety of sports and bad sinuses and allergy problems.)  Of course, I'd actually be worse than him because I found a lot of the foods they were eating to be gross on principal.  I'm just not an adventurous eater.  It's kind of a mystery why I enjoyed this book so much, actually.

I think that it's the character sketches that get me.  Her humor is sort of startlingly, dryly funny.  These are all short pieces, but she deftly builds a little world around the short pieces and the people who inhabit them.  I was especially drawn in because I wondered which parts were autobiography and which were fiction.  (I wish all the liver and other internal organ foods were fictitious . . .)

I loved it anyway.  And I'm not just saying that because she can appreciate good hot chocolate.  But that love does cover a multitude of liver-related sins.

No comments: