Saturday, June 11, 2011

What I Read in March: Digest Version, Part 3 of 4

b Hetalia 1: I suppose if you take this too seriously, it will offend you, but if you just let yourself enjoy the goofy humor with the occasional actual historical fact, you could have a really good, sarcastic time here. Probably best encountered in small doses and with an atlas that shows all the countries' flags handy . . .

b High School Girls 1: Well, this series sure punctures any illusions you might harbor about the elegent beauty of an all-girls school.

b Imperfect Hero 1: Goofy story about a supporting character in a color-coded super hero team (sentai) and the wacky evil villainess he sort of accidentally befriends. If you like this one, definitely check out Heroes Are Exinct.

b Itsuwaribito 1: He's a chronic liar because of a serious, truth-related childhood trauma. Really awful, violent things happen, and then he sets out to become a sort of Robin Hood of Swindlers. Great premise.

o JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 1: Erm, wow. I suspect it will get more comprehensible even if I never read the real beginning of the series, but the art design is just killing me. And I've read and enjoyed tons of 70s and 80s manga and lots of shojo and shonen. Lots of people I respect like it, so I will probably give it at least another couple volumes before I make a final decision.

b Kamichama Karin Chu 3: I think this will make more sense if I read it all at once. Six months between volumes is too much. The art is still adorable, but I've sort of lost the plot.

b Kimi ni Todoke 7: Awwwww, still cute and adorable and awkward! This tension is killing me! I want them to get together, but I also want Sawako to really get a firm grasp on her own value and who she is first! If she doesn't, their relationship is probably doomed.

b Kitchen Princess 2: I think I may have to marathon this sucker. It's cute and bubbly but not totally stupid. There's sadness and giving up and friendship and romance. Also food that might make you drool.

b Kurogane 3: Sort of resurrected as a part mechanical samurai, he wanders the land surviving. The art is amazing, and I am compelled to follow this poor guy and his talking sword on their journey for whatever it is they're searching for . . .

No comments: