b
Me & My Brothers 2
: You know, this could be so stupid, and if you're in the wrong mood, it will be. If you're in any other mood, you might enjoy this cute story about a girl who thought she was an orphan suddenly finding out she has 4 step brothers. When they move in together, it's a huge adjustment for them all. It's awkward and often hilarious.
b
Mushishi 8-9-10: I don't think I've mentioned enough how incredible this series is. These last volumes deliver more small vinettes about the strange creatures called mushi and how they interact with humanity and especially one "mushi master." We get some more of his backstory, and I am so sad to see this series end. It has excellent re-read value. I look forward to checking on that.
b
My Heavenly Hockey Club 1: This series is just stupid, but it's Ai Morinaga's stupid, so there is higher than average cleverness and sight-gags that will make your jaw drop. It's the story of a girl who loves sleep so much that she studies her hardest to get into the school closest to her, so she can get a few more minutes of sleep. Stuff happens, and she gets swindled into joining the tiny field hockey team that never actually plays field hockey in one of the series funniest running gags.
b
NG Life 8
: Oh, I love it! I love this series. What's going to happen?! How will this poor, hapless, hilarious main character resolve this terrible conundrum? And will the girl who loves him be able to get him to look at her and see her and only her? Reincarnation meets romantic comedy.
b
Pandora Hearts 2: I do like this series. There are such frequent glimpses of darkness. The only think that could make it fail is if the actual darkly-hinted at backstory is crappy. Let's hope that doesn't happen. I like this main character; he's not your standard shonen hero (he used to pick his friend somewhat mercilessly), and he's somewhat hard to read. All these weird and fun side-characters are a blast, too.
o
Pavane for a Dead Girl 1
: Ummmm, I'm really not sure what I think of this one. I just know I keep hearing "Pavane for a Dead Princess" every time I see it, so at least the music in my head was good . . . The art is cute, as per Koge Donbo's usual style, but the protagonist is totally unsympathetic, and the girls so far are kind of dumb and also unsympathetic. I'm not devastated by the fact that Tokyopop's abrupt exit will likely prevent any more volumes from being published.
b
Rasetsu 8: Penultimate volume! Dude! My heart can't take this! Gearing up for the final showdown, and it will likely be a doozy, chock full of really super-tragic stuff. And will these two ever just admit that they love each other?!
b
Seiho Boys' High School! 4
: Holy cow, this series is a good time. Life at an all-boys' school on an island in the middle of nowhere. Funny stuff because this is not an idealized vision of blissful boy life. It has swearing and a high percentage of encounters with females that end in hilarious and humilating foot-in-mouth failure. Good times.
b
Shugo Chara! 1
: Good set-up. I'm curious to see what happens, and I'm glad this one is being published again.
b
Sky Blue Shore 2: Oh, this one was painful to read now that I know no more is coming. So sad. Mysterious mysteries added to the pot. Cheerful school drama about how people deal with their pasts and each other in the present to create a better future. Also, lots of crafts with sea shells. I totally want to make the sea glass candle someday.
b
Tonoharu: Part One
: Kind of stunning story of a young man who went to Japan to teach in the JET program. He's kind of a loser, and he does a lot of stuff wrong in this first book, lots of stumbling and flailing. I still want to see if he manages to make something of his life and opportunities.
b
Twin Spica
5-6: Will they reach the stars? The number of students in their class continues to dwindle. They meet new people and face new challenges and learn things. This sounds so boring. Why is it so touching and incredible? I don't know, but it is, and I look forward to each volume.
No comments:
Post a Comment