Saturday, March 31, 2012

What I read in February: Digest Version, part 5 of 5

Yes, 5.  I had a book binge weekend, and it included a lot of manga.  A lot of manga . . .  Yum. 

b Two Flowers for the Dragon 1-6: I am irritated that I will never get to read the last volume (CMX, RIP) because I would really like to know how it all turns out.  I have a guess, but I don't have a "know."  A couple volumes back, I would have said she would have to choose X, but Y started creeping back into the running.  And now I'll never know unless some sort of super-unlikely license rescue of a single volume occurs.  JManga or DMP, help me out here?

b W Juliet 8-9: Fun times.  So nostalgic.  I've read some negative reviews of this series, so I wondered if I wouldn't like it as much since I've read so much manga since then, but I still found it fun and energetic.  Kind of goofy cross-dressing fun.

b Whistle! 9: And then on to the shonen soccer madness!  Just makes me want to get out and exercise and try my hardest at something.

b Wild Adapter 6: Oh, Wild Adapter.  You are so terrifying.  So, so terrifying.  I feel like this is how shojo romances with one partner who always gets kidnapped should work.  If the vengeance was like this, I would never let myself get kidnapped again.  In some ways, it's an okay place to have a story just stop, but I really want to know what happens next and after that . . .

b xxxHolic 19: I've heard lots of complaining about this ending.  I guess I understand people wanting something big and bombastic or at least splendid and conclusive, but this second bit of the series was supposed to be kind of a coda, I thought, and I was okay with it sort of tapering off and ending on a melancholy, unresolved note.  I thought it fit the series, if not other people's expectations.  Of course, then I went to Amazon and read L. Smith's amazing review and realized I totally didn't get anything at all about this book.  Thank you, L. Smith.  Wow.  Just wow.

No comments: