Sunday, April 29, 2012

What I read in March: Digest Version, part 3 of 3


b Oresama Teacher 2, 7:  Every time you think there is going to be a Cliched Shojo Moment, the author always ruins the moment perfectly.  This is a true comedy skill.  I guffaw at least once a book, earning odd looks from whoever is around as I read.  : )

b Pandora Hearts 1: This is really a remarkably well-done first volume.  Maybe on the first read-through, it feels confusing and full of dwa?  On this read-through, it is genius.  The foundation is neatly and firmly in place from volume one, and I can see why I wanted more immediately.  It's really rare for a first volume to do things right; I sort of feel like the last time I felt this way about a first volume was when I read Monster (not that these books are anything alike except in their darkness and moral quandries set up from the very beginning).

b Pandora Hearts 8-9
:  The moral of the story is as follows: when you make a deal with the devil, be very specific about your desired outcomes.  I thought this character was sort of morally ambiguous before, but after these revelations, well, I'm just not sure what to think of him.  I would like to read more now.  Lots happens in every volume, and it is somehow never enough because of the unbearable tension and mystery.  Must not get angry . . .

b Sakura Hime 2: Well, er, so maybe the prince was lied to/led around by the nose a bit, but, well, no, he's just kind of a jerk.  He kind of needs to own up to that, but he's too busy being jealous and 99% unreasonable.  More fighting and talking and sad things and understandings and misunderstandings and super-sparkly shojo!

b The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya novel
: Oh, Kyon.  Western readers are not supposed to like passive main characters, and I do kind of want to kick Kyon in the head sometimes, but, well, he's in a tough situation, and at least he makes it sort of entertaining.

b Sorcerers & Secretaries 1-2 of 2: This cute little series involves an exploration of love and connection with other people in the real world and the fantasy world created by one of the characters.  It also says some interesting things about writing and publishing.  Totally enjoyable.

b Yurara 4: The love triangle is heating up as everybody tries to do the Right Thing and not hurt anybody else, and that fails with a predictable degree of misery.  With one more volume to go, who will our heroine and her alter ego choose?!  : )  I read a review a while ago about this kind of love triangle (in A Devil and Her Love Song), and the writer made the offhanded comment that the girl always ended up with a certain kind of guy.  Not in this one!  But don't worry, the other guy gets his series later, and it's longer and even better.  If that's any consolation to the poor guy.

No comments: