Monday, April 30, 2012

What I watched in January 2012: Digest Version



b Blood +: Part Two:   I thought I hadn't seen most of the second half, but apparently, I was only missing the last few episodes.  I still really like this show.  Good dub, good characters, interesting psychology, great music, solid, heartbreaking ending: what more could I ask for?

b Legend of Black Heaven: A thirty-something protagonist who used to be an almost-famous rock star.  Rocky relationships with his wife and son, a job he hates.  Life it kind of crappy.  Until the aliens come and tell him that only his guitar playing can save the planet.  (I am not making this up.)  The dub is great fun (with Beau Billingsly [you may be familiar with his portrayal of Jet Black in Cowboy Bebop] as the lead), and this show deserves an award for showing the best bedhead ever displayed in anime.  "Rock and Roll is going to save the Earth!"  Rock on, man.  It's totally ridiculous, and I love it.

b xxxHolic: Hmmm.  I wondered how they were going to do this adaptation.  In the end, they took some of the tamer stuff and put together a serviceable series not lacking all the manga's bite (but most of it, especially the long-running plot threads that tied in to long-term payoffs and developments beyond the scope the anime).  They knew this one wasn't ever going to get to do the whole series, so they took out most of the long-term plot connection elements without making too many dumb mistakes.  It's fairly gorgeous.  Some of the voice acting in English grated on me, but, well, it's not their fault Watanuki is such a spaz.  His is a hard role to play.  : )  Overall, worth watching.

No comments: