Monday, December 31, 2012

Quotes December 2012, part 3


Bamboo Dong: "I don't usually go out of my way to make my To Watch lists season-appropriate, but as it turned out, everything I watched this week was filled with blood, guts, and lots of gore. Lots of limb-tearing too. I always imagined that it'd be relatively hard to physically tear someone's limb off, what with connective tissue and what not, but I guess people just really need to put their heart into it."

Sean Gaffney on Pastel: "Pastel is *still running* in Japan, with Volume 33 due out in November. Given it is, at heart, an ecchi harem manga bout a weak male lead, the various busty girls who fall for him, and their series of misunderstandings, the mind reels. I didn’t get very far into Pastel, but I know it has fans who enjoyed its slice-of-life, sometimes sweet story, so hope they enjoy seeing it go on. And on."

Katherine Dacey on Strobe Edge: "she’s less successful at expressing those ideas in a distinctive voice; Ninako is so utterly lacking in personality that everything she thinks and says sounds like a lyric from a Selena Gomez song."

Jessi on JoJo's Bizarre Adventures: "I'm going to come right out and say it; this series isn't the type of thing that one enjoys seriously. It's not "good" in the sense that its writing is anything worth mentioning or its animation is especially appealing, but it's entertaining in that its inherent badness wraps all the way around the quality spectrum and ends up being fun to watch, especially if there are some like-minded folks around willing to laugh and joke about huge men with weird hairstyles striking strange poses and having family names that would set a classic rock fan's heart afire (Speedwagon *snicker*). It's goofy yet it tries ever-so-hard to be serious and I can't get enough of it."

Sara K: "The drama also makes clear that in a society where saving face is more important than stopping abuse, abuse will flourish."

Michelle Smith on Stepping on Roses: "I knew going in that Stepping on Roses wasn’t going to be a masterpiece, but ye gods, is it ever dumb!. . . Being dumb doesn’t preclude Stepping on Roses from occasionally being entertaining."

No comments: