Oh, the crazy. Not only did I tackle National Novel Writing Month, but then I discovered that a local theater was playing a chunk of Studio Ghibli movies (each for only a couple days), and how often does that happen? So I made it work. Somehow.
b Castle in the Sky:
This was grand and magical and lovely on the big screen. I had seen it
before but forgotten all the specifics (seriously all of them). I just
knew there was flying and adventure and that I would adore it on a huge
screen. And I did.
b Porco Rosso:
This was another one I had seen and forgotten most of the details of. I
just knew it had flying and would likely be gorgeous on a movie
screen. And it was. This one is kind of non-standard, too, in that the
protagonist is a middle aged man. We gather these tantalizing bits of
backstory (he was an ace pilot in WWI who left the air force because he
hates fascism, he's watched a lot of camrades die, he thinks he doesn't
deserve to be loved and that anyone he loves will die or be hurt), but
they are just bits you pick up when you meet someone and get to know
them a little, not the focus of anything. Mostly it's flying and air
piracy and brawling and rousing adventure and romance on the
Mediterranean.
b My Neighbor Totoro: Animation and style a bit dated? Yes. Does it matter? No! I loved seeing this one in a theater with actual children who actually liked it. They were Japanese children since I didn't go to a subtitled show, but still. That scene in the rain with the umbrellas was awesomely loud! Warm, weird fuzzies abounded. A good time was had by all. Really a marvelous film, so I'm glad I was able to see if larger than life.
Monday, December 31, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment