Monday, December 31, 2012

Super Awesome Studio Ghibli Marathon, Part 3

Oh, the crazy.  Not only did I tackle National Novel Writing Month, but then I discovered that a local theater was playing a chunk of Studio Ghibli movies (each for only a couple days), and how often does that happen?   So I made it work.  Somehow.

b Kiki's Delivery Service: This was another one I had seen and forgotten most of the details of. It has been a long time since I saw this one.  I found it more confusing this time, but that may have been the exhaustion catching up to me.  I liked the nice couple she stayed with a lot, and I loved the warm feeling of the movie overall.  This didn't make the dangerous bits any less heart-pounding, which is for the good, I think.

b The Cat Returns: This one was in English for some strange reason.  And they played it before Whisper of the Heart (it's a sort of "sequal" to Whisper" but not really.)  This one was pretty trippy, so I suspect it's supposed to be for the younger kids.  But even Totoro had Japanese showings, so I'm baffled about that.  There's this girl, and she saves a cat, but he's a prince of the cat world, so the cat king tries to reward her, and things just get very strange.  It's okay because the baron (and I like his character design much better in this version) saves the day, true love conquers some, physics are mocked wonderfully, and everybody lives happily ever after, including the disagreeable, surly bouncer cat.

No comments: