Sunday, December 6, 2009

Crows Zero - pretty boys who can beat the snot out of each other?

Otaku USA did a review of Crows Zero, a movie based on a comic written by the same gentleman who created Worst, a series I got a huge kick out of when DMP released the first three volumes.  I'm glad I checked the movie out because it was pretty great and seemed quite faithful to the original's tone, content, and world view.

Less far-out there than the live action comedy Cromartie High (the only other manga to movie adaptation I've seen), Crows Zero was still funny but contained the violence Cromartie only hinted at.  The sub-plot with the aging, loser yakuza flunky was particularly well-done.  The team-building bits were often amusing, as well. 

All the hints at backstory made me wish this manga were translated, and the special features only made me more interested.  Ah, well, such is life.  Maybe I'll go read my three volumes of Worst again while my capsule toy of Hana watches benevolently.


Can you recommend any fun manga-to-movie adaptations?

No comments: