I'd never heard of Pandora Hearts, but Yen Press was sure excited about this license, and I've been digging it in Yen+. It starts out interestingly dark and only gets darker from there.
However, I was a bit hesitant. I've been burned so many time by series that start out well and then crash and burn by tapering off, often because they're by new authors. In a spirit of magnanimity, I picked up an earlier one-shot title by this author. This was actually another strike against the author because I don't like most one volume series. It's hard to establish characters, create a world, and follow a whole story arc to a satisfying conclusion in one book.
Crimson Spell wasn't earth-shattering, but it was intriguing. After reading it, I find myself looking forward to a nice, well-crafted, earned unhappy ending to Pandora Hearts, one that will honor its great set-up, world-building, and tragic characters. That probably sounds a bit morbid, but I've also been burned by works that start out with tragedy and style and darkness and end in whimpery, simpery happy-endings, maybe because the creators can't keep up the darkness realistically.
It's not that I like doom and gloom and sadness, per se. I just like consistency. I will suspend my disbelief way further than most people, but if you jar me out of your world of your own volition, sometimes, I get annoyed. I feel disappointed because the expectations you've built up go unfulfilled.
So, anyway, here's hoping Pandora Hearts stays exquisitely tragic right until the bitterly sweet end. :)
Any darker anime/manga you liked that didn't fizzle at the end? Any that drove you crazy by crashing and burning into sentimentality?
Saturday, December 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment