Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Hooray for Heroes Are Extinct!!

I finally finished reading Heroes Are Extinct!!, and I enjoyed every minute of the rereading.  I'll be honest: there were a few moments there when I wasn't entirely sure how things were going to turn out because the ending could have been satisfying either way.  I won't spoil it for you. :)



If you haven't heard of this three volume gem, Heroes Are Extinct!! is the story of what happens when a bunch of aliens come to conquer Earth.  The General in charge is pretty fired up because he used to watch sentai cartoons, and he is looking forward to a fierce battle with a team of costumed super-heroes, which he doesn't get because there are none.  It's kind of Galaxy Quest-ian.

Not content to conquer an undefended planet, the General hides his identity, kidnaps five people, and trains them to be the Earth's defence forces.  Meanwhile, all manner of hi-jinks are happening on his home planet and his ship because his companions are a bunch of weirdos (my favorite being the tall, creepy, bald guy who only whispers and shows his affection by tying bows of ribbon into people's hair).

There's lots of political unrest, tragic back-stories, sacrifice, and just plain weird stupidity, as well as a dash of romance, a giant bunny, robots, transforming watches, some help from LASA, double crossing, a coup, and some cheerfully over-the-top violence.

It all really made me want the manga that inspired Shinesman to be translated.  I love a manga that has fun with itself/ doesn't take itself too seriously and still manages to tell a satisfying, sometimes touching, story in a short period of time.  Hooray for Heroes!

What short series do you recommend that gets the job done well?

No comments: