Sunday, August 28, 2011

What I Read in April: Digest Version, 2 of 3

b House of Five Leaves 3: The plot thickens slowly, and the relationships swirl in ever-deepening whorls. Action, drama, and hanging out.

b Natsume's Book of Friends 6: More atmospheric tales of a boy who can see yokai and has been isolated his whole life because he doesn't want to lie to the people around him. I cannot tell you how much I love this show. It's a weirdly healing series, very gentle and awkward and sweet.

b 20th Century Boys 14: After the unexpected thing that happened before, there's still significant scrambling, but it feels a bit rudderless. I can't wait for the next wave of overwhelming awesomeness to break . . .

b Hikkatsu! 1: He's a boy who is trying to master a martial art that will allow him to fix machines on the fritz. Yeah, it's totally ridiculous.

b Yakitate!! Japan 24: Closing in on the end of the series, they're getting ever-closer to a showdown with an evil bread demon that possessed a baker and turned him into an evil bread-brained villain. I am not making this up.

b Crimson Cross: Still great mood and atmosphere if a tad lacking in the logic department. It's all about the feelings, here, and they're done well.

b Bunny Drop 3: Elementary school brings new challenges for the bachelor turned adoptive single-parent and his extremely self-possessed adopted daughter. Touching without being cloying.

b Seiho Boys High School 1-2: Still funny on this read (the third of fourth time through). Teenagers say the dumbest things. And I love it.

No comments: