Wednesday, August 31, 2011

What I Read in May: Digest Version, 2 of 2

b Hotel Africa 1: Wow.  I love this series.  Is the translation/adaptation really this stilted?  Then how does it manage those perfectly phrased touching moments?  Is that really supposed to be a Native American?  Oh, no, apparently, he's half Korean and half Native American and all manwha character.  Does this series really deal with actual interracial issues?  Well, peripherally and not necessarily in a sophisticated way, but yes, it does, and that is somewhat flabbergasting.  This ain't no Banana Fish caricature.

b Kieli 4: Long Night Beside a Deep Pool:: Sad and sometimes gross but touching once again.  This time, it's been a very long time since Kieli's seen Harvey, and their reunion is fraught.  The blond lady whose name I can't remember has a bit of facing up to the past to do.  There are ghosts, government conspiracies, and Kieli does something clever.  Really like it.  On pins and needles for the next one, but I hope it comes out when there's sunlight because I still can't read these if I'm not out in the sun to combat some of the darkness.

b Kingyo Used Books 3: More fun short stories about people rediscovering stories and authors they loved in childhood as they visit or are touched by something related to a particular manga bookstore.  Definitely best read in small bites.

b NG Life 9: The last volume!!  Thank you, Tokyopo for not punking out until after you finished this series.  This last volume was less hyper than previous ones, but it kind of had to be.  We get the final flashbacks, and our hero finally has to make a choice: to hold on to the past or to live in the present.  Soooo cuuuuute.  I'm glad this one ended well (and that we finally got to see what really happened in Pompeii all those years ago [copious tears were shed by me because, dang, that was super sad]).

b Otomen 10: Ah, more otomen goodness.  Weird, hilarious, otomen goodness.  Did you know all Japanese men need to be samurai and all Japanese women need to be geisha?  You'll have to wait for volume 11 to find out how that one ends . . .

b Vampire Knight 6-10: Oh, the angst!  Oh, the tragedy!  Oh the gothic art!  Oh the stupid, silly decisions!  And way to go, Night Class folks!

No comments: