Sunday, June 17, 2012

What I read in May: Digest Version, part 2 of 4

b Kyo Kara Maoh 5-6: Classic fish out of water comedy with some subtle social concerns. Man, I wish I could read the light novels this is based on. Or even more of the manga. Oh, Tokyopop . . .

b Mad Love Chase 1-5 of 5: This was exhuberant and ridiculous, and I couldn't figure out what kind of demon the big guys was until the author's note at the end designated him as a Frankenstein. ?! Anyway, I liked him. Some fun moments here.

b Maison Ikkoku 15 of 15: And FINALLY, the happy ending. I really say that because it took so long for me to collect it. Compared to the anime, the manga flies. Happy(-ish) endings all around. Phew.

b Maid Sama! 3-7: I think my favorite part is the way you open the book, and the title illustration is a continuation of the "photo shoot" from the front cover.  I find this series hilarious. Apparently, it rubs some people the wrong way. I think I understand why. It has potential with its strong main character and male love interest who actually likes her the way she is. I would like to see how she can keep being a strong individual even if she starts dating the perverted space alien who has a crush on her.  (He seems like he would dump her if she got boring and traditional.)  The problem is that, too often, shojo manga is more like The Taming of the Shrew than the Merchant of Venice in terms of what it does to strong female characters. Romance dilutes the females; they become helpless and dependent and ultra-stereotypical-feminine now that they have a strong male to take over. If that happened to Misaki, I would be sad. I prefer when both people in a relationship grow and change rather than shrinking.  However, unless this one gets licensed rescued by some kind publishing company, I WILL NEVER KNOW WHAT HAPPENS.  This could be good if it goes the way of Taming . . .

b Naruto 34 -38: Oh, sad things. More dying and death and plotting and weeping. Also ninja fighting (not unexpectedly)! Excellent exercise manga! Except when you lose volume 37 in your trunk and then doubt your sanity and think you maybe forgot to check it out of the library and then you rage and then you find it under a blanket later (at least before you went back to the library to track it down). That's just annoying.

b NG Life 1, 5: Still funny, still stupid, still dramatic. This tale of a boy who remembers his past life and the chaos it causes in the present where he is surrounded by people from his past life who don't remember (and some who do). I am going to marathon this now that I have the whole series

No comments: