Yes, much delayed, mostly because I couldn't figure out how to properly rhapsodize about Mawaru Penguindrum. I still can't. Sorry.
b First Gundam, first half: Interestingly enough, when I watch it all the way through, Amuro is not nearly as obnoxious and unsympathetic as I remembered him. We're not exactly talking Shinji Ikari level irritant, but I remembered Amuro as being more consistently immature instead of just, you know appropriately immature with small, understandable angst explosions. I was surprised at how realistic this feels even 30 years after it was created. It was an odd experience to see the whole things instead of random pieces here and there. I was also kind of surprised at how family friendly the level of violence was.
b Mawaru Penguindrum: I adore this series. It will not be everyone's cup of tea, but I suspect that those who liked other works by these creators (Utena) will find much to love here. Heartbreaking interpersonal relationships wrapped up in stage-y sets mixed in with art film camera angles, all crammed so full of symbolism that you can't look away for even a minute. I suspect this will never in a million years be licensed, which is sad because I want to buy it and re-watch it. Even though I knew there was no way for everyone to get a happy ending (for a while there I wasn't sure if anyone would), and even though it has its moments of nigh incomprehensibility, I really loved it even when it was breaking my heart. "What will be left of you after you burn yourself to ashes for her a hundred times?" Oh, I was afraid to find out, too . . . Great, weird music, too. Clever as all get out.
Here's a reference to a weird real-life inspiration for part of the show. Here's a review of the first episode. Here's an episode-by-episode breakdown of all the symbolism. Don't you dare read it until after you've seen the whole show. Of course, then you will want to see it again when you can use the pause button a lot . . .
b Redline: This was MANime at its best, laden with adrenalin, testosterone, fanservice, and, er, romance? Things blew up, laws of physics were mocked, cars went fast, and there was even some kissing. This one begs to be seen on a large screen in high definition probably with good-natured friends in laid-back moods accompanied by popcorn and caffeinated beverages. There are almost no words to describe how weird this one is, and it left me feeling sort of embarrassed and elated and like I should drive very slowly to compensate . . . Caution, this movie has "significant objectionable content" as one site says.
Sunday, July 15, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment