Saturday, November 30, 2013

What I read in April 2013: Digest Version, part 1 of 3

o AI Ore! 3:I can really see why this series makes some readers uncomfortable.  It's hard to get behind a love interest who uses more than just the verbal threat of rape to "punish" another character who had something similar in mind.  Just, not okay, dude.  Not okay.  Maybe he'll become a better person as time passes?  Then again, this is Mayu Shinjo, so who knows what THAT would even mean.

b Black Butler 12-13: An ocean voyage complicated by the undead tests our characters in ways they have not been tested before.  It shows that the author, Yana Toboso, is an artist who actually understands human anatomy (weeping tears of joy).  It also shows that she's not afraid to toss in some awesome reversals, as we discover that Elizabeth IS actually more than annoying and sympathetic eye candy.  She, like all the people in her family (particularly all the women), is a master of the sword, and she saves Ciel's keister several times (reluctantly because she thought he wouldn't love her if she was strong enough to slay zombies when he couldn't).  This was actually very refreshing.  She kind of drives me crazy because she seems so irritating and pointless when you can't imagine that she could possibly be what she appears to be for 12. Whole. Volumes.  To find that there IS a reason she was engaged to a Phantomhive and that there is a real, adorable reason she's been hiding it (because when they were little, Ciel was scared of strong women who could use swords and totally beat the snot out of older and larger men and was unaware that Lizzie was one such person).  And, yes, I found it adorable because it's the sort of thing kids do/remember that scars them for longer than it should.  "I'm fine with not being cute if it means I can protect you!"

Anyway, things heat up a bit as the Reapers make their usual flamboyant appearance and give Sebastian lots of added trouble.  AND A HUGE AND WELCOME FLASHBACK, holy cow.  The covenant they made, how they interacted and learned their roles, why "Sebastian" (Ciel named him after his dog), how they found their footing with each other (HINT: Sebastian had a lot more to deal with than he bargained for).  GOOD STUFF.  "He wished three things of me.  To protect him without betrayal until his revenge came to fruition.  To obey his commands without question.  And to never tell lies."

b CrossGame 7: Oh, CrossGame, how I love thee.  Humor, pathos, sports, slices of life, thoughtfulness, one last shot at Koshien.  I want to know how it all ends, but I don't want it to end.  (Sign of a series/book I am really enjoying.)
"If worrying would make her better, I'd worry night and day for as long as it takes."
"Some things you gotta do.  Other things, you can only have faith."
"I'm a good liar."
"Even if it was a lie, it made me happy."

No comments: