Saturday, November 30, 2013

What I read in April 2013: Digest Version, part 2 of 3

b Dawn of the Arcana 7-9: So.  Having knowledge of what might happen in the future can REALLY SUCK.  It can interfere with your relationships, your sanity, and your life.  Nakaba's starting to really see this.  She's also struggling to figure out who she can trust.  She thought she could trust Loki, but she knows he's hiding a lot, and she's not sure what his ultimate goal is.  She's increasingly in love with Caesar, but their awful family situations make really trusting him difficult.  Some sad deaths here and some scheming and some ally-gathering lay the foundation for what's to come, but sometimes the pacing seems to drag because things stew rather than move forward.  It certainly has its tensions, such as the cliffhanger ending of volume 9 when Nakaba is faced with the choice of which of two people she must allow to die.  Fans of non-stop action, adventure, and intrigue may yawn a bit, but why would they be reading this particular shojo manga in the first place?  Anyway, it still has promise, and I will definitely keep reading to see if that promise is ever kept.  : )

b Drops of God: New World: In an effort to try to boost sales, Vertical skipped several volumes of the story to place us in the arena of New World Wines.  You will be pleased to know that the hilariously over-the-top descriptions and illustrations are still present.  I may never drink wine, and if I do, I will never be able to taste it like this.  Viva la fiction!  I can get some of the experience (despite my too-oft-broken nose and allergy problems that prevent me from smelling or tasting much of anything) and none of the hangover or alcohol-tastingness of the whole endeavor.  There is mystery, intrigue, competition, ridiculousness, wine-related gang violence, and extreme environmentalism.  What is not to like?!  If you want to see a volume 2 (and maybe a fill-in of the skipped volumes), do what you can to help this one sell really well.  : )

b Ghost Hunt4-5: The problem with reading Ghost Hunt is that it really makes you frustrated that it stopped being published here, and I have no way of knowing where they were going with the tantalizing bits of info on Naru's past.  Anyway, this is early, when all you get are little hints that he's more than what he appears to be.  The stories are creepy and contain unexplained phenomena (shockingly).  I really wish the rest of this series or the novels it was based on could be released because I really want to know what happens (especially with Naru's past and his divergent dream and real life personalities).

b Jiu Jiu 2: Well, the puppies are growing up, and they're accompanying their master to school and there are demon killing, wacky hijinks, impractical attire, suggestive art, time apart, touching moments, and moping.  The art is still really different with its heavy ink and oddly proportioned characters.  It's a bit of a chaotic mess in all ways, but I'm curious about where it's going and where it will end up.

No comments: