b Strobe Edge 3-4: More young infatuation and love geometry as we get to know Ren's girlfriend a bit more and get a feel for their relationship. Ren's friends notice that he acts differently around Ninako, but they're divided as to whether they should bring this fact to his attention. And Ando is falling for Ninako more as she pines away for Ren while trying to keep a friendship going. Uniquely, one of Ren's friends has a lot of good insight for another of his friends who wants to "help" by getting Ren to see he likes Ninako romantically. And then there's Daiki (Ninako's childhood friend). His parents have been divorced for a long time, and now one of them is getting remarried, which could mean a move just when he's found a girlfriend he really cares about. He's always tried to support his dad, but should he stay where he is instead? Kind of a realistic question for a lot of kids these days. Overall, I really like this series. It has lots of heart-pounding moments and some very sad moments that feel somewhat realistic. For some reason, it just feels very refreshing, and very few people are painted as bad guys, and you just want everyone to be happy.
"But I guess I was wrong."
"Huh? You're actually admitting you did something wrong?"
"Cherish the moment."
"My policy is to never replace anything unless it's well and truly broken beyond repair. I won't let anything go until I'm 100% positive that it's kaput. It's a combination of laziness and frugality."
b Until Death Do Us Part 2: More adrenaline-laced, violent adventures brought to you by a young teen who can see the future and the guardian she chose (a blind vigilante with a katana and the aid of technology to help him fight). There are tactical ops; there is carnage. There is a savvy police detective who's always barely on the edge of being fired because he's too flexible and competent to really fit in Japan. There are really bad guys.
"I see. So the future doesn'a always mean 'good things.' There's always the possibility that your only choices range from 'bad' to 'worse.' I guess I never really considered that seeing the future could be such a painful thing."
"Isn't preventing crime the entire point of this organization?"
"Th-that's right, but the most important part of that is making sure that it never happens again."
"Which is why I'm making sure to put the fear of ME into 'em. I want them scared straight."
b The Wallflower 13:
I can never get over how ugly the art is in this series. It's just an aesthetic I do not subscribe to. It's still pretty funny, though, in a sit-com way. Sunako just wants to keep living in the darkness, and the boys just want free rent (which they can get if they turn her into a lady). Her aunt (the landlady) shows up in this volume and is every bit as ridiculous and over the top as every other character. She's a rich, fashionable, gorgeous woman who is absolutely nothing like Sunako. It's pretty touching how much they really love each other despite that. I enjoyed the cursed jewel gag (it sort of ends up afraid of/at odds with Sunako).
No comments:
Post a Comment