Saturday, November 30, 2013

What I read in May 2013: Digest Version, part 3 of 4


b Kimi ni Todoke 11-15: Oh, dear, well, once they're together, they get to experience all sorts of new and awkward problems.  It's meet the dad time, and Sawako's dad is hilarious (her mom is pretty great, too).  Kazehaya wants to do right by her, but it might be problematic to add on Sawako's father's desire to protect his daughter on top of Kazehaya 's already heavy sense of duty.  On the Chizu front, Ryu is playing the long game, and Chizu is, well, recovering from the loss of her first love and being generally dense about Ryu's feelings for her.   There's also a really adorable flashback about how Chizu and Ayane met and became friends (with hilarious guest appearance/help from Ryo).  Then it's back at Kazehaya as Sawako meets his parents and little brother.  His baseball nut dad and little brother and entire baseball team are a hoot.  Then it's time for the class trip, and the girls buy special underwear, and then Ayane teases Kazehaya about it.  Everyone is teasing Kazehaya about "how far they've gone" or want to go physically, and Kazehaya is pretty miffed.  Chizu finds out there's someone Ryu likes (but doesn't realize it's her).  Ayane goes out with a guy who ends up just being interested in her body, and she's really devastated when it ends, even though she didn't really like him and was just hoping that his affection would make her care about him.  She finds an unexpected shoulder to cry on.  Pin is like the bad-relationship-advice fairy throughout these trials.  Kazehaya tries to deal with his self-control (he's great at it but lousy at dealing with expectations and communicating with Sawako), and Sawako is really new to all of this.  As Kazehaya pulls away from her to protect her from himself, she doesn't understand what's happening and doesn't know what to do.  Yech.  Will all the threads be untangled?  Probably, eventually, yeah.  Looking forward to seeing how.
"If I were you, I would have done the same thing.  There aren't any right words to say."
"If you know the problem, you tend to look for someone else to blame."

"Your dad is really fatherly!!  He's different from my dad.  Your dad is more dignified."
"Dignified?! I guess you could call it that.  I thought my dad was just mean."
"People date other people because they like them.  I have never liked someone.  I have never dated someone because I liked them."
b Pandora Hearts 16:Oh, Pandora Hearts, again, you twist and turn and break my heart.  More mysteries, more betrayals, more reversals.  How much longer can Oz keep it together?  And what horrible truths will get thrown on him next?  Is there any way that there could be a happy ending for anyone at the end of all this? 

b Saturn Apartments 6-7 of 7: I held off on reading 6 until 7 came out because I couldn't bear the wait for the conclusions.  There were so many ways things could have gone . . .  And I can't spoil this, but I was more pleased than not with the ending.  It did feel a bit rushed, and people didn't always make the choices I thought they would, and there was some tragedy and triumph.  I liked the series, and I was glad that it ended on the notes it did.  If you like slice-of-life with an overarching plot and science fiction and coming-of-age stories, give it a try.  You might be pleased.

No comments: