Sunday, September 20, 2009

Celebrating the Overlooked Manga Festival

Drat it all.  I spent way too long at another manga review site!  I'm mad at myself, but I had too much fun to stop. 

Shaenon Garrity is a well-known manga editor, and she put together an amusing, informative set of posts she called the Overlooked Manga Festival.  I agreed with pretty much all of her choices (that I'd read).  The thing that made me keep reading is that she is hilarious in her descriptions.  She brings up plot points and summarizes bizarre twists with R-rated and laugh-inducing flare. 

Also on the site are a few worst manga bits, which are also hilarious and definitely not G-rated.  For example:

"Zyword is sort of like if two volumes of Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle were stranded on an island and forced to incestuously breed with themselves for generations."  - Jason Thompson

If you're looking for some seriously good manga you may not have heard of, give these a read.  You might be pleasantly surprised by how many of them are available through your local library system; discover the joy of inter-library loan!  It's good to check these suckers out of the library because they'll choose the good stuff in the future if it gets checked out now . . .

No comments: