I recommend watching Night on the Galactic Railroad late, late at night when you should have gone to bed a while ago, when you are sleepy and laid back. I recommend watching it in Japanese with English subtitles. I recommend watching it at least twice. I recommend you avoid trying to "get it" too hard (hence the late at night, half-conscious state advice).
Watching this movie is like having a dream: things flow with their own internal logic that you aren't privy to, and you feel submerged in something you can't control. Don't try to figure it out; you'll only hurt yourself. Instead, just hold your breath and let the water flow all around you. You won't want to wake up for numerous reasons, which is why this is a brilliant production.
This 1985 movie is based on a children's book/story by Kenji Miyazawa, who is a thoroughly fascinating individual in his own right. For those pretty familiar with anime/manga, his work has popped up in the first episode of the X anime (translated kind of appallingly badly and calling out desperately for a translation note, so watchers can appreciate the poignant and sadly appropriate selection) as well as in a volume of Planetes (I'm still bitter that not only did Tokyopop not translate the poem [probably a wise choice] but they also didn't even cite it/say which poem it was). For those familiar with Japanese conventions of address, the Japanese refer to him as Kenji (just his first name, no suffix at all); that's how well-known and beloved he is. Look him up!
I want to track down some versions of this book to compare to the film. (There are a lot of different translations out there; some are probably available through your local library, along with, possibly, this movie.) It's rated 3+. Ehhhhhhh . . . Watch it yourself before you decide if you want to watch it with your kids.
Just watch it some day when you're feeling mellow. Let me know what you think of it. (And watch a bit in English for Crispin Freeman's fine performance as Campanella.) (Thanks D&K!)
Have you already seen it? What did you think? What were your initial impressions? After reflection?
Monday, September 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment