I hope you were able to see Ponyo in the theater! I don't know if the big water scenes will be nearly as magical on a small screen. Anyway, one of the things I loved about Ponyo was the way it somewhat realistically portrayed typical motherhood in Japan (where the wife is mostly home with the kid, and the father shows up rarely, if at all).
As I was watching the film, I found myself wondering if director Hayao Miyazaki included this dynamic on purpose. From what I had heard, Miyazaki is a workahaolic. He met his wife when she was an animator. They got married, had a kid. She quit her job; he became monstrously famous and pretty much neglected her and their son to make incredible art that millions of people love.
I read a review after seeing the film that said he did include the dynamic as a tribute to the rough time his own wife and son had. I had mixed feelings: it's touching that he wants their situation to be recognized and appreciated, but it's no substitute for an absent father. We could start up that debate about what it takes to make great art and what sacrifices are worth it, but instead, I wanted to randomly mention another show that did a bang-up job showing that quietly crazy family dynamic.
Legend of Black Heaven is a somewhat obscure Pioneer/Geneon title that I got a huge kick out of for a number of reasons. Best of all, it stars a guy in his thirties. He works a drab job as a cog in the salaryman wheel, and he has some problems with his wife now that their son has come along and taken up much of her energy and attention (and made intimacy a bit more problematic in their tiny apartment). He didn't always live a boring life; once he was the lead guitarist of a heavy metal band that almost hit the big time (and his wife is a former groupie).
Long story short: aliens come to earth to enlist his help because his guitar playing is the only thing that can defeat their enemies. (I'm not making that up.) His wife thinks he's having an affair, and things get messy.
For me, though, the story is really about him reclaiming his passions: for his life, his music, and his family. Initially, he is awkward with his son, who is basically a stranger to him, and he's a bit rocky with his wife (partly because he's not the man she fell in love with and they never really spend any time together). I love watching that dynamic change for the better over the course of this half-season series.
The best bonus is that Beau Billingsly (you may remember him as Jett from the English dub of Cowboy Bebop) turns in an incredible performance as the lead character (he is excellent drunk or sober, goofy or serious). Once you get used to his deep voice, you will probably adore this role. I wish there were more lead roles for basses, but there aren't many anime series that star guys in their thirties . . . :)
Monday, September 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment