So what do you watch with Black Lagoon? Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's! I love alternating shows that make my brain hurt. (That grinding sound and slight smell of burning is the gears in my head changing.)
Nanoha is one of the most earnest and sincere anime out there. It is made of cute and trying hard. There's a good bit of darkness here, but it can't overwhelm the sense of earnestness. It drives all the curse words and ultra-violence of Black Lagoon away with the power of its purity, but I still find myself humming the Black Lagoon opening theme song (one of the best examples of Engrish available in the Western world, in my opinion).
Nanoha's back, and so are a lot of familiar faces. If possible, this season's villains are even more pitiable than the last. They are so not-evil that you just get all torn up inside. I have one disc to go, and I'm going to be sure to have my tissues handy for the last one.
I was actually surpised at the ground Nanoha A's covered in the second to the last disc. It ended with the showdown and revelations I expected for the season finale, so now I've no idea what's in store in the last disc, but I'm wishing for some good, pure, unadulterated redemption! Bring it.
Sunday, November 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment