I'm reading a good argument for my three volume manga rule (maybe I should call it the three strikes rule), where I try to give a new series at least three volumes to win me over before I write it off. Volume 3 of Yokai Doctor was pretty great.
It's nice to see characters who seemed somewhat generic branch out a bit, and I like the depth each volume brings as it throws in new curve balls about the main character's past. Who knew that what seemed like crass boob jokes could suddenly become somewhat warm-fuzzy inducing? Certainly not me.
The point of view character even had a couple of moments that startled me, although she is still something of a stock character. What the series needs to really make me a fan is to make her into a "real" person. I'm definitely reading the next volume, though. Thanks again, Del Rey, for picking up something unexpected and enjoyable.
Are there any series you like that require at least three volumes to hook the reader that you wish more people would read?
Wednesday, November 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment