Sunday, November 18, 2012

Quotes of November 2012, Part 3

Connie on Barbara: "The first two chapters are about this problem, which is apparently that Mikura can’t tell the difference between non-humans and humans, falls in love, and has torrid sexual affairs with dogs and mannequins."

Sean Gaffney on Moyoco Anno: "She moved away from shoujo as it felt too unrealistic and no one really made mistakes or screwed up. Josei gives you more leeway in that regard. Ed noted her characters tended to dress fashionably, but Anno noted that’s because they cared about it. If she had a slob she’d dress them as a slob."

Katherine Dacey on Cross Manage: "For a series whose plot hinges on an accidental groping, Cross Manage is better than it has any right to be."

Bamboo on new rules for streaming reviews at ANN: "Those titles that are dropped will also have longer reviews, so I can properly explain why I feel justified in never watching another second ever again."

Jason Thompson on Junko Mizuno: ". . . but the stories are an affectionate homage to the 36-year-long Tora-san film series, about an eternal wanderer encountering sentiment and sadness, and of course drug overdoses and vomiting space hippos and flaming death."

Brian Hanson on teenaged anime heroes: "Hideaki Anno, mad genius that he is, wanted to tell a different kind of giant robot/giant monster story, one that included pain, loneliness, sorrow, and guilt, alongside the usual superheroics. And I, personally, can think of no other time in my life where I wasn't as lonely, in pain, felt sorrow, and wracked with guilt than when I was a 14-year old mopey teenager. That angry, confused time in our lives where our emotions outpace our intelligence, where every feeling and thought contains the entire universe. There's no more ripe fruit for hypersensitive angst than being a teenager, no sirree. Plus: Giant robots and monsters!"

No comments: