Wednesday, November 21, 2012

What I read in September : Digest Version, part 2 of 3

My Heavenly Hockey Club and Yozakura Quartet rescued!  And Vinland Saga licensed.  Woohoo!

b Good Luck, Yukikaze: This is the kind of sci-fi I cut my teeth on, only bleaker.  I really like this kind of internal quandry, talky sci-fi that kind of kicks me in the head and makes me think about it later.  It's a book of short stories again (more or less), and it can get tiring when read in large quantities.  It's also not something I read right before I go to bed.  Please, Viz, please publish the last collection.  Pretty please?  I kind of need to know what happens after the anime and this book.

b Gunslinger Girl Omnibus 11-12: What price/cost revenge, Jean and Jose?  And what will you do if/once you get it?  What was it that Jean lost that made him the single-minded, moral sinkhole we all love to hate.  Flashbacks.  Sacrifices.  Justice.  Holy cow.  We're coming to the end, everything is converging, and I foresee a lot of people having to make important philosophical decisions under extreme stress.  I also foresee a lot of people dying horribly and a need for many tissues.  Is the next set the end?  Because my heart can't take much more of this . . .
"What business do you have with me, sergeant?  I want a clear and concise explanation."
"A clear explanation, sir?"
"Yes.  As clear as the blue sicilian sky.  Love at first site, sir!!  Oof!!"
"Quit following me around.  I have no interest in women."
"Really?  Does that mean you're a homosexual, sir?"
"No, it does not.  It means that I do not devote my attention or affection to other people."
(ME: Yeah, Jean.  I guess you haven't really changed much . . .)
b House of Five Leaves 8: Oh, I quite loved this ending.  I recall lots of bloggers not liking this ending?  Or maybe it was the anime ending people didn't like?  Anyway, I'm glad I waited to finish the whole manga series before watching the anime.  Now I can maybe not get the two confused. There were some real surprises at the wire here, but I'm pleased with how it turned out.  I think everyone (who had any) got to keep their integrity, but it didn't feel cheap or forced.  Very nice.  I look forward to marathon re-reading this series one day soon.

b Ikigami 1: Wow.  Yes, very like a punch to the gut.  I wonder what I would classify this as?  Could it be called dystopian sci-fi?  I'm not really sure.  Anyway, in an attempt to make people value their lives more, future Japan has created this program where all children get injected with capsules when they start school, and people are randomly chosen to die when those capsules explode (when the people are between 18 and 24).  The world is building nicely as we follow a new person who gets to deliver the messages to the soon-to-be-deceased 24 hours before their deaths.  This volume definitely earns its M rating not just for the adult theme of the whole thing.  Yikes.  Your mileage will vary with the stories, but over the individuals stories is this creeping horror about the sheer injust justice of this whole idea.  Dear God, please let this never happen anywhere.  I would like to believe that people would realize that, expecially in America, this would not significantly alter people's behaviors.  Maybe this could work in Japan but I just can't see anyone making the argument for it working in the USA.  In fact, I don't think it could work anywhere because people are people, and some people waste their lives and do bad things because they want to, and knowing they might only have 18 years to do so would likely not make them better people.  Anyway, intriguing idea.  I definitely want to read more.  I wish my library had it, so I could read it in small doses since I'm not good with lots of creeping dread all at once.

b Kieli 7 As the Deep Ravine's Wind Howls: Okay, that last volume was pretty outstanding.  This one was pretty decent, too.  The haunted house was super creepy, and now poor Harvey is in even worse shape.  The Corporal's not doing so hot, either.  We're spiraling in, though, and the father of a certain friend of Kieli's makes an appearance.  I think the next volume is coming in the spring, when I will be able to read it in the sun, as I have to do with all horror novels I attempt.
Even if I can't make it to the final stop with him, please let me ride with him for as many moments as I can . . .

I don't mind killing a person or two if it's for you.

Could she really become someone who could protect the people she loved on her own, without relying on anyone else without hurting anyone alse?  Somehow she thought that might be way, way beyond her.

No comments: